Waterford Surgical October Meeting in conjunction with The Surgical Section of The Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland
Saturday, Oct 8, 2022
9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
South East Technological University, Cork Road, Waterford
This year the Waterford Surgical October Meeting(WSOM) in conjunction with The Surgical Section of the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland will take place on Saturday 8th October 2022.
The event this year will be presented in hybrid format allowing in person attendance in the South East Technological University (SETU), Cork Road, Waterford and on line participation.
The theme for this year’s meeting is “Surgical Practice in the Subspecialist Era”. The meeting will also include our Orthopaedic Colleagues who will have a specific research prize session and guest speaker Mr. Owen Diamond, Consultant Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon, Royal Victoria Hospital and Musgrave Park Hospital, Belfast.
The faculty will also include:
- Professor Helen Heneghan, Professor of Surgery / Consultant Bariatric Surgeon, St. Vincent’s University Hospital, Dublin
- Dr. Paul McCormick, Consultant Colorectal Surgeon, St. James Hospital, Dublin
- Professor Gerry O’Donoghue, Consultant General, Breast & Endocrine Surgeon, University Hospital Waterford
- Mr. Adrian O’Sullivan, Consultant General and Hepatobiliary & Pancreatic Surgeon, Mercy University Hospital, Cork
- Ms. Tafadzwa Mandiwanza, Consultant Neurosurgeon, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
- Mr. Niall Davis, Consultant Urologist, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
- Mr. Owen Diamond, Consultant Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon, Royal Victoria Hospital and Musgrave Park Hospital, Belfast.
This year’s “Gordon Watson Lecture” will be delivered by Professor K. Simon Cross, Associate Clinical Professor RCSI & Hon. Clinical Senior Lecturer UCC, Retired Consultant Vascular and General Surgeon, University Hospital Waterford.
Mr. Niall Hardy, Specialist Registrar, Department of Surgery, Tallaght University Hospital will deliver the “William O’Keeffe” Lecture and the meeting will include a research section for the “William O’Keeffe” Memorial Prize which will be awarded for the best original paper.
Abstracts for the research session should be submitted to the Department of Postgraduate Surgery, HSE/ RCSI Education Facility, University Hospital Waterford via e-mail to email@example.com not later than Tuesday 23rd August 2022. There will also be an Orthopaedic Research Prize.
Please see attachment for details of abstract submission.
The “Brendan Devlin” prize will be awarded for the best case presented as a mini-poster in keeping with our theme of “Surgical Practice in the Subspecialist Era”. There will also be prizes for the best full size general surgery poster and for the best full size orthopaedic poster on a wide spectrum of General Surgery and Orthopaedic issues.
The closing date for these competitions is also Tuesday 23rd August 2022.
Further details on how to register for this event will be circulated shortly. We look forward to seeing you all on Saturday 8th October 2022.
Professor Peter M. Neary MB, MScLHPE, MA, MD, FRCS(Colorectal)