Sports centre and gym
At RCSI we understand that busy students need the very best facilities to balance their academic and health and fitness ambitions. Our fitness centre caters for complete beginners to regular exercisers and offers the very best gym equipment available anywhere in Ireland.
The gym team at RCSI, which consists of qualified and experienced fitness professionals, are always on hand to assist you in achieving your health and fitness goals in the most time-effective way. From tailored fitness programmes and nutrition advice to sports specific programmes, they are available at all times to ensure you get the very best results.
If you need some extra motivation, we offer an extensive range of group fitness classes. From dance, yoga & mobility to kettlebells, circuits & spinning, there's sure to be something to interest you.
Our extensive opening hours mean that we are open when it suits you - be it an early session to wake you up, a lunchtime workout to invigorate your afternoons' study or a late night class to finish your day strong.
Our cardiovascular suite has over 40 pieces of equipment to ensure you get the best variety in your workouts. To tone, build & sculpt your body, you'll need resistance machines & with our range of over 30 sectorised weight machines you will get the results your want in an effective & safe way.
Our weights room contains over 2,500kg of plates & dumb bells & a large range of racks, benches & platforms you can be sure of hitting your strength & conditioning goals.
Our ladies only gym is a provate gym with cardiobascular & toning equipment provides a private area for ladies of all abilities & nationalities to workout.
Welcome to the RCSI Gym
In order to obtain access to the RCSI Gym, applicants must complete the Health Screening Questionnaire, relevant Membership Agreement & pay the fee applicable to their membership type. Once you have submitted the Health Screening Questionnaire, the Membership Agreement & paid the application fee, a member of the Gym Team will be in touch to confirm your membership.
- To be eligible for membership, applicant must be: a current RCSI registered student of Surgical Training or Emergency Medicine.
- Applications for membership must be on the official application form provided for that purpose. If the applicant is under the age of 18 years, the application form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
- All members must swipe their RCSI ID card upon entering the gym & this applies to all visits.
The membership term is for an initial period of 6/12 months depending on which membership option is selected. Following the initial minimum membership period membership you will be contacted to remind you about your renewal date. The membership renewal fee must be received at least one day before the membership expiry date to ensure continuation of the membership. Membership will automatically expire one day after the renewal date if no further payment is received. Renewal payments may be made at any time during the membership term. This will not affect the expiry date of the existing membership.
Upon acceptance of application, a member shall pay a membership fee at the rate applicable at the time of application. This will be applied for an initial 6/12-month period. RCSI reserve the right at any time after the minimum term of the contract to increase the membership fees to be charged by providing a minimum of 30 days' notice.
- There will be no refunds or transfer of time for non-attending members.
- Membership may not be sold/transferred under any circumstances
- Membership fees are not refundable & payments are due regardless of usage.
Temporary suspension of membership is permitted only in circumstances where the member is availing of long-term RCSI approved leave:
- Protected leave such as Maternity Leave, Parental Leave (taken in block), Adoptive Leave, Carer's Leave.
- An extended period of absence due to illness (greater than once month).
In the event of reconstruction or refurbishment of any part of the facility, every effort will be made by the Management to eliminate any diminution of the RCSI Gym services. Membership will not be suspended & Members' cooperation in this instance is assumed.
Any member who terminates their membership & subsequently wishes to re-join is subject to the prevailing fees.
RCSI reserve the right to retain any fees which have been paid.
Limitations of Liability
The member will use the facilities of the gym entirely at their own risj & RCSI shall have no liability whatsoever, whether in tort or contract, for any loss, injury, or damage howsoever sustained by the member. The member accepts full responsibility for their own use of any & all of the facilities, appliances, privilege or service whatsoever at their own risk & indemnify & hold harmless the gym, its shareholders, directors, council, officers, employees, representatives, agents r lessors from all loss, claim, injury, damage or liability sustained howsoever caused.
Members are required to comply with the rules & take note of any health & safety guidance displayed on notices posted, on the gym notice board, on electronic platforms (e.g. mSurgery etc) or within the premises. Members shall respect the equipment at all times & not abuse the facilities. Any damage caused to RCSI property shall be paid for by any member who recklessly or negligently caused such damage.
Physical Condition of Gym Member
Applicants must complete the Health Screening Questionnaire in conjuction with applying for membership. The member confirms that he/she is in good physical health & condition & he/she knows of no reason, medical or otherwise, why he/she is not capable of engaging in active or passive exercise or why he/she should not use the facilities, or why such exercise or use of the facilities would be detrimental to his/her health, safety, comfort or physical condition.
The Health Screening Questionnaire is a declaration of health. Applicants may be requested to provide medical clearance. Applicant will not be accepted for membership until the Health Screening Questionnaire has been approved & any medical clearance requirements have been submitted.
In using the Gym Facilities, you agree & understand that:
- You should not exercise beyond your own abilities. If you know or are concerned that you have a medical condition which might interfere with you exercising safely, before you use our equipment & facilities you should get advice from a relevant medical professional & follow that advice.
- You should make yourself aware of any rules & instructions, including warning notices. Exercise carries its own risks. You should not carry out any activities which you have been told are not suitable for you.
- Should you become ill or injured while using our equipment or facilities, please notify a member of the gym staff who are trained in activating the appropriate procedure.
- If you have a medical condition that will affect your use of the gym facilities, you must follow any reasonable instructions provided by a medical professional to allow you to exercise safely. It is the responsibility of the member to ensure the details of their medical history & medical conditions are true & accurate in every respect.
- The member shall not use any facilities while suffering from any infectious or contagious illness, disease or other ailment or while suffering from any physical ailment such as open cuts, abrasions, open sores or minor infections where there is a risk that such use may be detrimental to the health, safety, comfort or physical condition of other members.
Lockers & General Security
Locjers are provided for starage of personal property. No liability for damage or loss will be accepted by RCSI.
Lockers are provided in changing rooms for daily use by members. Personal belongings may not be left overnight in lockers. In particular, RCSI does not accept responsibility for loss or damage to valuables of any person whilst on the premises.
Code of Conduct
Members who use the gym facilities are expected to maintain the normal standards of conduct expected in the college & adhere to the code of conduct. Any issues arising in these areas will be dealt with in a fair & timely manner through the normal RCSI procedures.
Members must familiarise themselves with the RCSI Gym Etiquette Rules & abide by them at all times.
RCSI Gym needs to collect personal data, as defined by the Data Protection Acts, for a variety of purposes, in order to conduct its business in an efficient & accountable manner. RCSI Gym collects data relating to members, who come into contact with the Gym.
The Data Protection Acts confer rights on individuals in relation to the collection, use, sharing & retention of personal data. They also confer responsibilities on RCSI relating to the manner in which it collects, uses, shares & retains personal data.
RCSI complies with the Data Protection Acts 1988 & 2003. This ensures compliance with eight principles of data protection as set out in the legislation:
- To obtain & process personal data fairly.
- To keep it only for one or more specified & lawful purposes.
- To use & disclose it only in ways compatible with the stated purpose(s).
- To keep it safe & secure.
- To keep it accurate, complete & up-to-date.
- To ensure that it is adequate, relevant & not excessive.
- To retain it for no longer than necessary for the purpose for which it was collected.
- To give a copy of his/her personal data to an individual, upon request.
The member is responsible for ensuring that the gym has up-to-date information, which should include an up-to-date address, telephone number, email address & further medical information.
On joining the gym, the member automatically accepts & agrees to be bound by these Terms & Conditions of membership. The Management reserves the right to amend & add to these condition of membership at any time. Members shall observe any amendments or additional conditions to the rules. It is the member's responsibility to read & fully understand the above contract. Upon acceptance of membership application the member is bound by RCSI & the above terms & conditions.
Terms & Conditions
No liability shall rest with the RCSI Gym for any injury or damage to persons or property. Members who sign up to RCSI Gym do so on a voluntary basis. Members must understand & abide by the rules of the RCSI Gym. Members must follow the rules, policies & procedures of RCSI at all times by avoiding accidents & ensuring a safe environment for everyone. Members undertaking activities which include physical exercise do so at their own risk & the RCSI Gym is not liable for any injury obtained during these activities. Members must take all necessary medical & professional advice to ensure their safety, to verify their fitness & to confirm their suitability for sporting activities throughout the course of their club membership.
I have read this agreement, including the terms & conditions before accepting them below. This agreement will become binding once you have accepted it.
Please keep a copy of these membership terms & conditions for your records & regerence.