RCSI Travel Grants
The purpose of the Fund is to promote international goodwill in surgery by providing financial assistance to allow travel overseas to visit centres of excellence for clinical training purposes. The experience to be gained from the overseas visit would not normally be available to the applicant in Ireland.
The number and value of grants awarded will be at the discretion of the selection board on an annual basis.
The minimum value of each grant will be €1,000 and higher amounts at the discretion of the selection board.
The board will meet in the spring of each year to consider the award of the grants and to make recommendations to the college.
Q. Criteria and eligibility
Applications will be considered from the following:
- Surgical trainees who, at the date of application, are at an advanced stage of surgical training in RCSI, and are Members or Fellows of the RCSI and in good standing.
- Fellows or Members of the RCSI in good standing who have completed surgical training in the RCSI within two years from the date of application.
Candidates are encourage to plan as far in advance as possible as retrospective application may be disqualified. The selection board favours applicants who have already received academic distinction in their postgraduate education and applications which demonstrate that the applicant is using their initiative to obtain experience above and beyond that which they would likely derive from clinical experience in Ireland.
The applicants must have clear and specific objectives for the proposed visit. The board does not favour applications for travel grants from those wishing to attend conferences or scientific meetings.
Among the criteria the Board will consider in making its recommendations, will be the;
- merits of the proposed centre in relation to the candidate's learning objectives;
- candidate's curriculum vitae; and
- likely value to the Irish health service from the proposed overseas visit.
Q. Application process
RCSI Travel Grants will be advertised early in each calendar year on the RCSI website as well as via e-mail. It is the responsibility of the trainee to ensure that his/her completed application is received in full before the closing date.
The applicant must, before the indicated closing date, submit the following to Ms Samantha Henson:
- A completed application form
- A copy of their curriculum vitae
- Written acknowledgement from the unit to be visited
Please note: Applications are now closed and will reopen in due course.