Resection of a Meckel's Diverticulum
- Intravenous antibiotics & resuscitation if presenting as diverticulitis.
- Transfusion, if presenting with GI bleeding.
- The small intestine along with the diverticulum is delivered into the wound. Soft bowel clamps are applied proximally & distally.
- Depending on the configuration of the neck of the diverticulum it can be excised with or without small bowel resection.
- If after a diverticulum alone is excised, the small bowel is closed transversely to prevent stenosis.
- If the small bowel is resected along with the diverticulum then an end-to-end anastomosis is fashioned.