Kickstart your career in surgery
This Masters programme presents a truly exciting new approach to early surgical education and training. Using state-of-the art training and simulation facilities, this programme is designed to give prospective surgical trainees the essential knowledge, skills and behaviours required to maximise their competitiveness for entry to surgical residency training programmes anywhere in the world. Accredited by the National University of Ireland (NUI), this qualification is positioned at Level 9 on the National Framework of Qualifications.
This intensive and innovative Masters offers a new career progression pathway for medical students/interns who want to develop their surgical skills. In addition to obtaining this Masters qualification, students will also take the MRCS examination and will complete a research project that may be of publishable standard.
The programme will start in summer 2019. If you would like to receive more information about the programme, you can register your interest NOW.
- Applications must be received on or before Friday, 21 June 2019
- Interviews will be held in RCSI on Wednesday, 3rd July 2019 (date subject to change). Interviews can be conducted via Skype or video conference.
- A copy of the application checklist is available HERE.
This one-year, full-time programme offers students a fully-immersive simulation-based training experience. The modules are delivered by experienced healthcare practitioners in a simulated hospital environment and include:
Core knowledge and clinical judgement
Candidates will be provided with tuition and learning resources for both the Basic Sciences and Clinical Surgery. Clinical judgment training will focus on diagnoses and clinical decision-making.
This module will teach fundamental surgical skills and basic surgical procedures in a non-critical environment using simulation technology and a faculty of experienced surgeons.
This module will focus on areas such as healthcare process improvement /LEAN healthcare/ 6-Sigma, healthcare economics, technology/medical device innovation etc..
Candidates will develop the skills necessary to obtain a comprehensive patient history, conduct a thorough physical examination, perform basic clinical tests and interpret data in a spectrum of patient care settings.
Decision-making, communication, teamwork and leadership, self-awareness and insight, conflict resolution and error management play a key role in surgical practice and will be explored in this module.
- MB BCh BAO holder (or equivalent level-8 undergraduate medical degree)
- Prospective students for whom English is not their native language must have certified proof of English language skills and this will need to be uploaded during the online application process as follows:
- Students should have an IELTS Certificate (dated within the last two years at date of application) with an average IELTS score of at least 6.5 (no domain < 6.5), OR
- Students should have satisfactory proof that their basic medical degree was completed through English (in a country where English is the language spoken by the vast majority of the population).
Places on this programme are strictly limited to a maximum number of 20 students. Fees for the academic year 2019/2020 are as follows: €16,250 PA for EU students/ €32,500 PA for non-EU students.
Any queries regarding the MCh in Surgical Science and Practice should be addressed to the following:
121 St Stephen’s Green
For additional information please click HERE